Just about everywhere you look, love is in the air. With celebrating romance comes added focus on unmentionables of all kinds. Yes, we are talking about undergarments. No matter what you call them or what style you’re partial to, you can sew your own. Here are 5 things to think about before you begin.
1. Take real measurements over your skin. Don’t guess, and remember your measurements are just guidelines for your sewing – they do not define who you are in any way! Your undergarment will always fit, feel, and look better when made from precise measurements.
2. Know what you like and don’t like about the undergarments you currently own. Knowing this will help you choose a cut and fabric that works best for you instead of just the best looking pattern picture.
3. Use fabric and details you love like this lingerie pictured above from Elizabeth Anne Designs. Custom undergarments are the perfect project to let your personality shine. Go ahead and add a bright lace trim or ribbons that speak to you.
4. It goes without saying that undergarments need to be washed often. Be sure all of your elements (fabric, trim, thread) have similar care requirements. Prepare your fabric and notions before sewing and wash as needed, to preserve the most delicate element of your unmentionables.
5. If you are an experienced sewer or just want to take your project to the next level, consider sewing a bustier or corset. The Canadian company, Farthingales Corset Making Supplies, is a fabulous online resource with everything you need to sew a pretty and figure-enhancing bustier. Visit them at: http://farthingalescorsetmakingsupplies.com.
Feeling confident begins on the inside but wearing unmentionables that you feel fabulous in certainly helps!